Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Bringing Out the Worst in Others

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12966698

The article link above refers to a woman who attacked one of Gaugain’s paintings in the National Gallery in Washington over the weekend. I actually went to see this exhibit and I can and cannot understand the reaction.

It does depict two bare breasted Tahitian women, which seems like something most men want to paint. I don’t see Gaugain being different than most men in that regard. I’m not saying I condone it, just pointing out that I don’t think it’s that controversial. The lady said it’s homosexual. I really can’t see that because it’s not as though the women are making out with each other. They happen to be standing naked side by side and extending flowers to someone. If the woman feels this way, she has every right to be annoyed and upset with the painting. Just don’t try to mess up the art!

Not sure what it is about Gaugain that drives people so crazy. As I was telling my friend when we were at the exhibit, I remember that my professor for a course in The History Of Art also had very disparaging things to say about Gaugain. She prefaced the class saying that she really didn’t like him as a person or an artist but that he was very important to the history of art so we needed to go over him. She did tell us why she didn’t like him and her reasons seemed justifiable.

Oddly enough, even before my professor’s tirade, I wasn’t a big fan of Gaugain’s either. I appreciate his art but is it my favorite? Absolutely not! The fact that he was very arrogant doesn’t make him very popular in my eyes either.

So I guess it’s not just me and my old professor that dislike Gaugain as a person, apparently this lady does too. Not sure why this artist brings out the worst in some people. Any thoughts?

No comments: