Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Be Happy

I can’t begin to tell you how annoyed I get when people tell me to be happy. I think the reasons for my annoyance are obvious to some degree.

Reasons to be annoyed when someone tells me to be happy are:
1) I think I’m happy. If I happen to think a lot about things, that’s who I am. It doesn’t reflect on my being happy or sad. Just because I like to think about things thoroughly also doesn’t mean I’m sad or upset.
2) I don’t deal well with anyone telling me what to do. It certainly explains a lot of my work issues in general. Be happy is a command and hence, I don’t like it. (if it were an instruction, I still wouldn’t like it because it doesn’t tell you how to be happy so that leads me to the next reason)
3) If you think I’m unhappy, telling me to be happy wouldn’t make me feel better if I have no clue how to be happy. This is not the case with me, just pointing out a problem with this logic.
4) If I suddenly see a person upset, and I don’t bother to ask them why…would I hazard to say to them ‘Be happy!’ No, not if I value my life. But yet people do this to other people without taking into consideration that maybe there are things going on in their life and we don’t have the full story.

It’s easy to tell people not to worry and to be happy but it is usually not comforting especially if the person seems to be just brushing you and your problems off as insignificant.

1 comment:

Ann Marie said...

Gee, thanks. Now that silly song is stuck in my head.