Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A Day at the Zoo

Often we think of the zoo as a place where only children go. Usually that is true and in all honesty, I went recently with a group of kids. However, part of the fun of going to the zoo is to see how amazing animals are and how often we forget that.

At an enormous zoo somewhere in the middle of France, surrounded by 4 French children between the ages of 18 months and 3 years, we started out on a journey. We, being the Mexican and myself, along with the kids and their parents began in the birdhouse. It was a tropical birdhouse. It was hot and humid and there were birds flying and walking all around us. One of the little children decided she needed to talk to one of the birds so she chased one. This scared me because animals are unpredictable. The bird could have turned around at any time and pecked the little one for no reason…simply for being chased. And I couldn’t say I would blame the bird. They aren’t used to being chased.

After that I was awestruck by the colors of all the birds and just like a child myself, in unison with one of the real children, I went ‘wow!’ when I saw some of the plumage on the winged creatures. The deepest and inviting blues I had ever seen. I wanted to chase that bird to touch the colors on those feathers. But I remembered that I was an adult. I couldn’t chase animals in wonder like the children.

Later on, we sat for a bird show around a big pool that was also where the seals would perform. As the birds flew overhead, the immense wingspans and flying patterns that the birds made simultaneously frightened and mesmerized me. They were flying so low, I thought I was going to get hit by their wings. The wind that I felt underneath their feathers was so forceful that I was awestruck that such small frames could generate so much speed and power.

The trainers then tossed fish in the air for the birds to eat. This demonstrated how birds can dive and soar to get their food. Some of the fish were tossed into the pool and the birds swooped down so swiftly to steal those treats with their claws. They never missed grabbing the fish. Without looking at their claws, they could sense where the fish were. I can barely grab a coin on the sidewalk without two or three attempts and I’m looking RIGHT AT THE COIN. These birds just amazed me and I sat with my mouth wide open just like the kids in front of me, who tried to touch the birds as they flew by. I just cringed and bit my nails as they flew by. But I was still as astounded by our feathered friends, probably more than those children were. I just feared them while they wanted to unite with them.

My favorite moment of the day wasn't with the animals at all, per se. One of the doors to the gift shop was propped open my a wooden lion whose mouth was wide open. One of the children decided this was a good time to check just how sharp the lion's teeth could be. Once he realized that the lion would bite him back, he took a hold of the lion's mouth in his hands, lifted his feet and swung from the wooden lion's mouth. All I could think about was how this child might be a future lion tamer.

His liberty to enjoy the lion and for the little girl to chase the bird reminded me of how nice it is to be a kid. You don't have to worry if the animal will attack or if it's real. You just have fun. And you take in the wonder of life. It's a good lesson to learn for adults, especially this one.

No comments: