Friday, April 29, 2011

The Royal Wedding

Along with the millions of people around the world, I watched Prince William and Kate Middleton get married today. Kate looked stunning in an elegantly sophisticated, yet simple dress and delicate makeup and jewelry.

Last night my husband asked me why I was interested in the wedding at all because I do not believe in princesses and 'Prince Charmings'. He has a point; I’m confusing. What I do love about the royal wedding is the ceremony, tradition and history behind it. As a student of literature and history, this is what I live for in a way. Although I think the rules of primogeniture are ridiculous, I can’t deny that they exist.

What I told my husband is that I don’t believe that girls should be raised to think that a Prince Charming will come to their rescue. They need to be their own person first and foremost. They should get an education and do what their hearts desire and they should travel and see the world before they get married. And they should get married to men who have flaws because no one is perfect. That is what I mean by my not believing in princesses and princes.

Watching all these little girls being exposed to the Disney Princesses is what has made me make these comments to my husband. Many of those movies portray these defenseless women, who have very little going for them except a nice singing voice, just waiting for the Prince to come to them. I think that’s a bad model for girls to follow. I am a firm believer of making a name for yourself outside of marriage.

Now, I am ok with the sweet nothings parents say to their children such as ‘she’s my little princess’ or 'he's my little prince' but I just don’t see myself teaching my children to think that way.

I have to say that in some ways Kate Middleton embodies my idea of not being a princess. She went to school, got an education and worked for some time. This is a good example for girls to follow. Of course, she ended up marrying a prince but even he’s not perfect – just look at who his father is!

If you think your husband is a prince, that’s fine too. I think my husband is the Prince of the Panza de Perrito but I know he’s not perfect. And I hope he knows I’m not perfect either because I’m opinionated and loud most of the time. Those Disney movies make the Prince always look flawless and that’s just silly. No one is perfect and that’s what I mean by my argumentation that I don’t believe in princes and princesses. Obviously historically and even today, they exist but it’s the ideology behind it that I’m not fond of. I mean for Christ’s sake, have you seen how horrible some of these princes and princesses look and behave. It’s not something to look up to, believe me!

I wish the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge lots of luck and love. I think they are a very cute couple.

1 comment:

M said...

I think it's the idea that a woman needs a prince to rescue her from spinsterhood and make her life complete that is so annoying. It makes those princesses blank slates with no passions or interests of their own, no purpose other than to be married to some mythical creature who will solve all their problems. Girls need to be taught to be their own people and live their own lives and that a man doesn't complete you--you can be complete on your own.