Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Pins and Needles #5

The other night I couldn’t take the pain in my back so during the day I decided to go for an acupuncture session. I used to get acupuncture years ago but it had been at least a year since the last time I’d gone. It was different this time around.

This time my back was in a worse pain than it had been when I went before. I can’t even sleep from the amount of pain that I experience. My muscles have always been tense but never to this degree. The shortened muscles in my back were what led me to pull my back muscles in the first place. I needed so much more help this time around than I ever did in the past.

Before this occasion, I’d feel the slight prick of the needle and then I would lay there for some time while the needles worked their magic. This time around the practitioner added a clamp onto the needle and had electric currents go into my back muscle. The initial jolt freaked me out but it then really helped. The current warmed up my muscle and I could feel the muscle loosen as I began to fall asleep. After some time the practitioner woke me up and did a session of cupping to take out more of the tension. Both of these methods did help me feel more relaxed and the muscle did loosen up a bit. It was still very tight but better than the block of granite it had been when I walked into the office.

I know a lot of people haven’t tried acupuncture but I highly recommend it. Who would believe that a small needle could help you feel so much better?

No comments: