Monday, April 11, 2011

Getting Naked

Fear not, this will not need to be rated by the Motion Picture Association of America. This entry is about how people react when the weather gets warmer.

Today, for instance, the temperature is at 80 degrees in NYC. I just went to walk my dog and have noticed the majority of the population of my neighborhood in various states of undress. This is normal behavior in the summer; the less you wear, the happier you are.
However the problem that I have with this behavior in the spring is that I think it’s a case of too little, too soon.

I won’t pull out my shorts and tank tops just yet because well, I don’t really wear those items of clothing out in the street too often anyway. But also because I know that tomorrow the weather is going to dip at least 20 degrees. This kind of fluctuation in temperature and my dressing to fit the thermometer only leads me to get sick. I take the necessary precaution of not wearing my winter coat and putting on a tee shirt and a sweater for days such as today. This quick hit of heat only reminds me that it’s still spring and any oddness is still possible. Think back a few weeks ago when the weather hit 74 on a Friday and the following Monday, we experiences temperatures in the 20s. Can you see my rationale behind keeping the clothing on a little longer than necessary?

However, other people feel the slightest increase in temperature and decide it’s time to play a version of strip poker with no cards. The sunglasses come out (rightfully so I might add – it’s good to protect your eyes) and the items of clothing disappear. And I don’t have a problem with that behavior at all. What I do have problems with are the people who wear their bras and super short shorts (which might actually be underwear) and Ugg boots outside in this weather. If you are just as confused about the weather as I am, perhaps a little more clothing and flip flops might be a better transition?

1 comment:

M said...

Modesty dress is always better, even when it's 80 degrees outside. We don't need to see that much of people!!