Friday, April 22, 2011

General Thoughts on Physical Therapy

Sadly I’ve had numerous injuries in my life – surgeries, pulled muscles, sprains etc. After all these injuries I’ve had to go for physical therapy (PT). The tone of the previous sentence probably sounds somber but it’s not; I am a big proponent of PT.

When I tore my ACL and meniscus, I went to physical therapy for a while to try to avoid surgery. I enjoyed the massages and the exercises but in that case, it didn’t get rid of the pain that ultimately needed to be fixed by surgery. After the surgery I had to go back to PT to rehabilitate the knee and learn better techniques to protect the knee. The first few weeks of PT were difficult because the incisions were still healing and scar tissue was forming. By the end of the period, my knee never felt better. It almost felt as though nothing had ever happened in the first place. Even to this day, my knee feels great and I give a lot of credit to PT for that.

A number of years ago, my mom had to have hip surgery. She had to go through intense PT for a month and she hated it. It was difficult and painful. I kept encouraging her because I knew that after she pushed herself a little bit, she’d feel so much better. Last time I asked her she said she didn’t even notice she had had surgery except for the scar reminder.

When I went to the doctor a couple of weeks ago about the pain in my back, he asked me ‘Would you mind going to physical therapy for it?’ With wholehearted pleasure I said “Not at all!”

Even though I’m tracking my treatment in my blog and some days are going to be hard, I’m looking forward to feeling better very soon.

No comments: