Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Liar, Liar

Happily, I’ve recently changed jobs and I couldn’t be happier. The one point of contention is that I still sit in the same group I used to work in. This is bothersome for a couple of reasons:

1) I don’t have closure from my old job because I keep hearing about it every day.
2) I had to listen to certain people talking whose voices have always annoyed me but now annoy me more so because it doesn’t allow me to focus on my new job.
3) I still have to deal with one person’s bothersome traits when I really just want to be so far away from them.

With regard to bothersome reason #3, this person told me a few days ago that I will have to move out of my cubicle seat very soon because people are asking me for it. Just a few days later my new team asked if there was someone with whom they could coordinate office moves. I thought my old group’s executive assistant would be the best person with whom to my new team in contact.

I approached the executive assistant and said ‘My new team is trying to coordinate office moves and they wanted to know if my current spot is waiting for someone’. She said that she didn’t know anything about my spot being in need and that she had just confirmed that with her boss moments earlier.

So when I heard this I began to wonder who the heck is telling the truth. Was I being pushed out as old bothersome person had said or was I in no hurry as the executive assistant led me to believe? I began to wonder what each person had to gain by lying. Perhap the exec admin was lying because she hadn’t really asked her boss. Other than that, I couldn’t see what she would benefit in lying to me about this situation.

What would bothersome person gain by lying? She wouldn’t have to see me or be reminded of my not being on the team any more. She might be charged for my being in that spot so she would save some money by my not being there.

Hence I came to the conclusion that bothersome person had the most to gain by lying. This just supports how much I didn’t like or trust bothersome person in the first place. I do enjoy when my suspicions are confirmed.

1 comment:

M said...

Sometimes people phrase things as if they are definite even when there's just a remote possibility. In this case, I can see Bothersome Person having a conversation about potential, future personnel moves that would necessitate giving your desk to a new person. Later, when she sees you, she tells you that someone definitely needs your seat soon--probably more as a dig at you b/c she is bitter that you've left her team. Whether she thought of it as a full-on lie, meant to deceive you, or just as stretching the truth in order to get in a dig, is anyone's guess. She didn't get the nickname Bothersome Person for nothing, after all!