Friday, March 11, 2011

The Story Teller

My dad is loves a good story. He enjoys movies with good plots and great characters. He’s a big fan of the old West movies especially with John Wayne. I get my enjoyment of movies, stories and plots from him. He’s also a great storyteller too.

I have noticed with the abundance of visitors that we’ve had over the past few months that he enjoys talking to people and telling them stories about his life or stories he’s heard from other people.

The other day my dad was over playing with the dogs and he said to my husband
“Should I kill her and eat her?” - referring to Foxy.
My husband replied “Absolutely not!”
The Mexican explained why that wouldn’t be a good idea (Beside the obvious that she’s our dog, dogs shouldn’t be eaten and that he would miss her most of all if he did kill her).

Suddenly my dad then launched into a story. When he was a boy in Italy, someone told him this story…

A group of people had gone to a restaurant and they ordered some pasta with meat sauce. When they got the sauce, they all found it was the most wonderful sauce they had ever had. But there was something to this sauce and they had to know what made it so delicious. So a couple of the men went to the owner of the restaurant asking if they could talk to the chef because they wanted to pay compliments directly to him. The owner said it was ok. A few minutes later the chef came out and the men praised his wonderful sauce. He thanked them. They finally asked him ‘what do you put in the sauce that makes it taste so beautifully?” The chef didn’t answer for a while but after being asked again and again, he finally admitted ‘It’s ground up frog.”

That’s where my dad finished his story. He didn’t really say why he told us this story or what the moral of it was. I had to put the pieces together myself. I think he was telling us that you never know what you get in a restaurant and that maybe you could end up eating a dog.

No comments: