Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Union of the Snake

I absolutely hate snakes! Not sure if I’ve ever addressed this in an entry but they totally freak me out. After a couple of encounters in my youth, I feel confident that avoiding them is the best thing I can do.

However, you’d have to be under a rock (at least in NYC) to not know about the Egyptian cobra that has been missing from the Bronx Zoo since last Friday. Although they say it’s probably hiding somewhere in the Zoo, some clever people opened up a twitter account in the cobra’s name. They’ve been tweeting his exploits around the city. And as long as I don’t have to see the picture of the cobra, it’s been making me howl.

What’s really creative about these tweets is that the perpetrators are using this as a way to let the cobra be a tourist in NYC. He’s going to a lot of the famous tourist sites (Rockefeller Plaza, The Museum of Natural History). He’s seeing some notable New Yorkers (Tina Fey). And the best of it all is that he’s commenting on pop culture and also making fun of himself.

A couple of my favorite tweets have been:

“ I do speak Parseltongue but with a thick Bronx accent” (making fun of Harry Potter and being from the Bronx and being a snake.)

“Leaving Wall Street. These guys make my skin crawl.” (obvious enough but funny that I actually feel the same way as my arch-nemesis)

“In front of the diner used in Seinfeld. Niiiice! They’re real and they’re spectacular.” (Poking fun at one of the episodes of Seinfeld and also a location many tourists who love Seinfeld seek out)

I do hope they find him soon though. Even thought herpetologists say that the snake might be frightened and would not come out into crowds, I would feel much better if the snake would just go back to the enclosure in the Bronx Zoo where it’s behind glass.

No comments: