Monday, March 29, 2010

At the Dog Run

Watching my dogs and other dogs in the dog run recently, I became convinced that life would be easier if we just acted like dogs more often. Yes, it’s my usual craziness but bear with me for a moment.

When dogs see each other, they can immediately let each other know they don’t like each other by growling. This is a super efficient if you ask me. No phoniness there. How much easier would my life be if I could just openly growl at people I don’t like and then just avoid them? Being polite sometimes really stinks. It’s so much simpler if we could be more open about how much we don’t like someone else without acting like grown ups and just dealing with them.

Dogs also sniff each other and see if they like each other’s scent. Once again, it works because given the small amount of time, they can figure out if they want to be friends with another dog fairly quickly. If we could just cut to the chase that way, we would save a lot of time. No, instead we hang out with people for at least a couple of hours or so before we decide if we like them. That is a lot of wasted time if you ask me.

The best time saving strategy of all is how dogs bark at one another when they sniff each other and decide they don’t like each other. They sniff, bark and then move away from each other. None of this “I’m not sure if I like you” or “It’s not you, it’s me” conversation to be had at all in dogville. Dogs are straightforward and practical and we should be that way too.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey You!!! I have had a week where I have had several friends have to mourn pets this week or have to lose them because they have had to downsize because of the economy and can't take their pups with them. Weird urge to look under my fav tabs to find your blog address and click on it. First article to come up is about dogs! Serendipity? Coincidence? I don't know, but after my conversations this week, so true. How different our society would be if we lived by the code of dog. My husband's fav quote to me is "I always strive to be the person my dog thinks I am."