Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Complaining in a Good Way

Complaining is human nature. I do it a lot and I’m certain everyone does it some degree – some less and some more. Someone pointed out that I do a lot of complaining in my blog and they said I should try to complain in a good way. This suggestion completely left me flummoxed because the meaning of complain is:

Main Entry: com•plain
Pronunciation: \kəm-ˈplān\
Function: intransitive verb
Etymology: Middle English compleynen, from Anglo-French compleindre, from Vulgar Latin *complangere, from Latin com- + plangere to lament — more at PLAINT
Date: 14th century
1 : to express grief, pain, or discontent
2 : to make a formal accusation or charge

Thank you very much Merriam Webster!

Obviously when we complain, we use the first instance of this verb more than the second. However, what I want to point out is that the meaning of the word says “to express discontent”. That’s all I’m doing. Yes, I’m discontented a lot but darn it, there is a lot to be discontent with.

I guess if the person is trying to tell me to stop complaining…then perhaps there is something to that. I probably should since after all most of the stuff I complain about isn’t stuff I can control. But to complain in a good way…I’m not really sure how to do that. Any suggestions?

No comments: