Monday, March 1, 2010

Proceed with Caution

Relationships with in-laws –oh they are the things of nightmares. I don’t think any other kind of relationship creates as many potential ulcers as the extraordinarily light and fluffy contact with in-laws.

I do admit that I’m lucky in the sense that I like my in-laws but even then, it’s not easy. Regardless of how well you get along with them, and how much they agree with you, they will NEVER ever take your side over their child’s side- even if the child is acting like a total loser and an idiot.

Let me rephrase that – they will agree with you about their child’s idiocy and be upset about the way they are acting. But at some point, no matter what the situation is, you will be completely aware that you are still an in-law and not their flesh and blood.

Regardless of when this epiphany happens, it never feels good. Even if you have been repeating the mantra ‘you are not their kid’ to yourself for years, nothing prepares you for the disappointment and sadness of when they finally let you know that you don’t ‘count’.

My husband has been having to deal with this for quite some time. And recently I had a taste of this as well. Although I probably will get over it faster because I’m stubborn, it sure as heck doesn’t feel good. With these types of relationships, the only advice I can give to anyone, including myself, is to proceed with caution.

2 comments:

HAPPY said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HAPPY said...

be careful when you point your finger at someone because the other four are pointing right at you...it is important not to be hypocritical in life and to lead by example.