Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Lead Us Not Into Temptation

The Lenten period suggests that you make a sacrifice to try to emulate the ultimate sacrifice that Jesus made for us when he was crucified for our sins and died. Every year I try to give up something that is hard for me. Last year I gave up cakes, cookies, pastries etc. This year I am doing the same as well as going to the gym every day for 40 days.

It’s difficult in a stressful job to not want to eat a whole bag of Oreos. It’s even harder in this situation to get yourself out of bed every morning to get on stationary bike when you’d rather be sleeping. After all cuddly playful puppies are hard to leave for a cold hard steel machine. But it has to be done! It builds character.

You know what else builds character – walking buy a dozen donuts at work! Yesterday my boss bought in a bunch of donuts to welcome our new colleague. I can’t tell you how many times I passed by this box during the day. Each and every time the vanilla frosted donut waved at me. Occasionally after its salute, it would prop itself in the corner of the box and say ‘You know you want me!’ How rude! As if the donut wasn’t mean enough with this behavior, the sprinkles began to sing and dance to me as well. I faintly think they were singing Barry White’s ‘Can’t Get Enough of Your Love’ to me. As the day got longer, the singing got louder. When did sprinkles learn to dance and sing? How does a donut know that I want it so much? Did the need for the donut show on my face?

Finally, someone hid the donuts so I wasn’t encountering this love song. But how dare people do this stuff when you are trying to be good! And damn you, donuts! Blast you to hell, I say!

1 comment:

M said...

Ha ha ha! I know EXACTLY what you mean! It's true that food items do have the ability to speak. Their siren song may not affect everyone, but it certainly is deafening to those who hear it. Good for you for resisting temptation!