Friday, March 12, 2010

Precious Things

This week, the word or idea 'Precious' made its way into my consciousness on many levels.

The first was with the movie 'Precious' for which Mo'nique won an Oscar for best supporting actor in a female role. I enjoyed this movie immensely. That is not to say that I came out of the movie skipping and dancing, but that I thought it was an important movie. The main character has a very hard life but ultimately rises above it. It was inspirational.

Another way 'precious' appeared this week was via the main character from the No.1 Ladies Detective Agency series. I just started to read the most recent of the series called "Tea Time for the Traditionally Built". I love the books in this series and thought that I would use the next few blogs to address some of the comments that I find intriguing from this book. So far it's been a treat to read as is usually the case with these books.

The last way that 'precious' has made a cameo this week was via the show "The Big Bang Theory". This show has become a new guilty pleasure. I love the silliness and nerdiness of this show. On this week's program, the guys on the show found one of the rings used in the 'Lord of the Rings' movies. They are all very excited by this and all of them want to possess it. Finally, one of the characters does get the ring from the bet and ends up turning into Gollum. As he espouses 'my precious' to the ring in a scene, I realized the common thread working its way through my week.

There are few things that I would categorize as 'precious' but this week was a reminder of just how much 'precious' things appear in my life.

No comments: