Monday, March 24, 2014

Loss of Appetite


I decided to treat myself to a quiet book reading lunch by myself today. Sometimes there just isn’t any better to way to ease into the week than to schedule some ‘me’ time. I went to a local restaurant, book in hand, sat down and flipped to the page I was last reading. 

And that’s about as far as I got. Unfortunately I went to lunch a tad later than I normally would have and the place was crowded. Even though I was eating alone, I was really eating with the tables beside me as well. To one side was a duo of younger people who might as well have been texting each other through the whole meal because they spent that much time on their cell phones. They might have even been texting each other, I’m not entirely sure. Then their food arrived and the proceeded to chew with their mouths open. The lip smacking and noodle slurping made me want to run my nails down a chalkboard. It really wouldn’t have been as painful as this cacophonous chomping. Dear Almighty Being, why does this always happen to me. 

I tried to focus on the book. It was, after all, quite funny. Then the other table started in with their laughing and complaining about their co-workers. As much as I tried not to eavesdrop, it was impossible. My soup arrived and I tried to focus on that but ‘chomp chomp’ was all I heard on one end. I put my book in front of my face to cover what looked like a pride of lions attacking a gazelle on National Geographic. Actually the lions might have been less noisy. I’ve never see people or animals slobber over food like that in my life! 

The book boomeranged the chomping noises away but let the other ear open to the table on the side. They kept laughing and being mean. I called my waiter over and asked him to pack up my lunch. He asked if something was wrong. I said ‘I suddenly lost my appetite’. I explained that it might come back a little later and I didn’t want to waste the food. I requested the food and check at the same time so that when they arrived, I paid and picked up my stuff and left. 

So much for a relaxing lunch! Sadly, it was much tastier at my desk than I ever imagined. I guess I learned my lesson, best to eat lunch before the crowds arrive so I can enjoy both my book and my meal.

No comments: