Saturday, March 22, 2014

The Missing Shoe



Early this year I decided that I would start to run. I have never really attempted to run before because the occasional rush to catch a bus down my block has already left me breathless, which isn’t fun. After those dashes, I’ve also found myself in horrible knee pain. 

Regardless, I was determined to lose my saddlebags! It was a lot of unnecessary weight that was probably causing more knee pain that some pounding from a run would ever do. In order to get into the mindset of running, I needed the right sneakers. I went to get fitted at a local specialty store, which was an interesting experience in itself. 

The next day I put on the sneakers and I immediately felt the difference. I felt supported and comfortable in a way I hadn’t ever felt in a pair of shoes. I then went to the gym to run. I ran 6 minutes and I felt good. My knees didn’t hurt after the run. But boy the next day! I was hurting. I was incredibly sore. It was both exhilarating and scary. I felt like I could finally get rid of the thighs and butt but then I wondered how I would feel if I ran more than 6 minutes. Would I need a stretcher? Would I need to be in traction for the rest of my life? 

I didn’t have to really worry about it after that because I never got to run again. One day my daughter started to play with my shoes in the closet. Since that day, I have not been able to find one of the shoes in that pair. I have looked everywhere imaginable and am unable to find it. With my Lenten sacrifice, I can’t buy another pair either even though I am getting to the gym in a more routine fashion.

So perhaps it’s not just my knee but the whole universe that doesn’t want me to run. Even my daughter knows more about how much harm it can do that I’m aware. I’m sure that if the sneaker doesn’t reappear before the end of Lent, that as soon as I go and purchase another pair, it will pop up.

1 comment:

M said...

Ha ha this is a cute post. I thought you did have a period of running before, when you and Memo were running together and you even did a 5K, no? Maybe I am misremembering. Clearly M thinks running is a bad idea for you since she has hidden your shoe!