Sunday, March 9, 2014

The First Cut



My daughter was born with an immense arrangement of hair on the top of her head. I had to give her the first trim after 3 months and I have been doing the best with upkeep every few weeks. However, in the last few weeks, it has been very difficult getting a comb or brush through her hair without it snagging on the bristles. And the other night when she was dancing and couldn’t quite see out of one side of her face because her hair had covered it, I thought it was time for her first hair cut.

I worried a bit that she might freak out. Not so much because of a scissor being presented but by it being presented to her in someone else’s hands. I placed her in the little fire truck and the hair dresser put on an episode of Doc MacStuffins and M was mesmerized. The cape went on and the spray bottle came out. She was interested by the water shooting out of the nozzle and tried to grab it. But when the theme song started, she was interested only in what was on the screen in front of her. 

The stylist combed through her hair and then put it up in clips to cut the back portion. My daughter looked adorable. In what seems like a few short minutes, a good inch and a half was cut away from her mane and her bangs no longer fell into her eyes. She cleaned up very well. 

Then I had to pay. Luckily my sister joined me on this momentous first so she got to run after her while I settled the bill and gave the nice lady a tip. My daughter determined that the best part of the hair cut was the chance to run back and forth in an immense play area. She gave me a hard time leaving the place. Luckily she didn’t put up a fight with getting her first official trim. The hard part was getting her to leave the place. Can’t say I blame her. I wish my salon would show any television show I wanted.

No comments: