Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Location Frustration


Hurricane Sandy came through the Tri-State area more than a year ago but she left quite an impression in more ways than one. Even after all this time, there are still impacts to her wrath. Although I was not touched directly by the storm, it has indirectly damaged my life. 

I mentioned in an older entry how my building was flooded by Sandy’s rain and rising tides. My group was not allowed to move back to that building until an inspection by the EPA was completed. Then just when we thought it was safe to go back, we got news that my company was determining a different location strategy. We were told we would be moving to the Brooklyn offices whenever the space was allocated. For months we waited and nothing seemed to progress. I made my way back and forth between Jersey City and Brooklyn because we did not have enough seats in any one location. 

Then a few weeks ago we were told we would be moving to Jersey City permanently. Happy I was not! Although I had been coming into Jersey City all along, I did so with the idea that it was a temporary location. Now that it was permanent, I wasn’t thrilled. 

The building itself is much nicer than the Brooklyn building but there is really only one viable commuter way in and out of Jersey. With all the snow and tempestuous weather, I don’t want to be stuck on Garden State side of the Holland Tunnel. Since we’ve moved, they’ve also become stricter about the work from home policy. That flexibility made the job decent but it has since made it a bit unbearable. Not to mention that we were never compensated for this change of venue decision. 

This has really brought out the worst in everyone in lots of ways. I’ll definitely detail more of the reasons in future entries. Aren’t you excited to see that I’m writing again? 

I know I shouldn’t complain since there was so much direct damage that people had due to Sandy’s hiccup. But it’s interesting to see that a natural disaster how far reaching a natural disaster can be.

1 comment:

Ann Marie said...

Sorry, but Jersey City is AWFUL. I was there in the mid to late 70's when there was NOTHING but my bank, a Post Office, two delis and three local dive bars. Very isolated and depressing. I'm sure there's a little more life there now but it will still isolate you from the rest of the world.