Friday, February 5, 2010

Healthcare Reform

People preying on others as a concept is horrible. The fact that this type of behavior happens every day makes me want to puke. Sadly it does happen every day and I’ll give you an example of it from my life directly.

In line with an earlier post on ‘the Chicken and the Egg’ and all the frustration with that, more injury was added to my insult by the wonderful pharmaceutical industry. My company covers a fair portion of medical bills for me which is great. The insurance that I get through my company covered one treatment cycle of in vitro fertilization. However, the treatment was not successful. So we thought of trying again only to find out that my insurance couldn’t cover the next treatment. Not because they outright refused but because I reached my maximum limit. The limit seemed like a vast number until I found out how much the actual medicines cost!

The prices quoted to me on how much the medicine would cost me out of my own pocket made me almost throw up. How could these companies ask for these insane amounts of money for these medicines? How dare they prey on people’s desperation to have children and think that they could ask these prices and still sleep at night? I nearly started a tirade against this poor pharmacist but what did she have to do with it? She didn’t set these prices.

It infuriated me that something that took absolutely no money in nature was being capitalized upon for those who had issues with nature, for those who were ‘broken’. The injustice of it has been festering in my bones for weeks and I intend to do something about it. But I need to be able to express my disgust with our health care system that it would allow such things to happen.

No comments: