Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Mouth of Babes

As I mentioned in an earlier entry, my husband and I spent some time with his friend’s children. There were three of them – A boy (age 5), a girl (age 4) and a baby boy of 6 months. The two older children kept us occupied with games and stories. They were both very sweet and polite. Most of the fun things that we experienced were what they said to us about daily life.

• We went walking around a place that had many trees. I pointed out to the girl that the tops of the trees were losing their leaves. She informed me that the trees were going ‘bald’.

• When they caught my husband without his wedding ring, they asked him if he was married because their parents never took their rings off. He explained that he often took off his ring at night. They notified him that their parents were married even when they slept. I admit that I thought they had a good point of picking on him about this particular topic.

• One morning I came down the stairs in my pajamas. They asked me why I was still in my pajamas. I told them that I had just woken up. They mentioned that my husband had just woken up but he was dressed. I didn’t explain to them that what they thought was dressed up for my husband was really still his pajamas. I told them that I wanted to take a shower first so that I could get dressed. They seemed a little more satisfied with this answer than with my first one.

• We visited a place where a big stone tower stood in the middle of a field. At the bottom of the tower was a window into which the little girl poked her head and say “Rapunzel, Rapunzel! Let down your hair!”

• My husband was taking a lot of pictures and the boy asked him if he liked taking pictures. My husband told him “No, I love taking pictures. And I hate taking pictures!” To which the boy replied “Well that makes no sense!” My husband enjoyed antagonizing the kids. He often answered all their questions in ‘No’.

• At one point the girl asked me if my husband’s favorite word was ‘No’. I told her yes it was his favorite word. She then questioned me about what his ‘worst’ word was. And I informed her that it was also ‘No’. She made a face and asked rhetorically “No is his bestest word and his worst word?”

• One day the girl was trying to nap. She noticed that I was watching her so she pretended to nap by closing her eyes and snoring. After a while she asked me if my husband snored. I told her that he did and that it was very loud. She persuaded me to ask him on her behalf. She knew that if she asked him, he would say ‘No’ (since this was his bestest and worst word after all). Indeed when I asked him, he replied that he did snore. She had figured my husband’s game out completely!

Kids usually do say the darndest things. And I always love to hear children with accents talk. It’s always great when you can get the benefit of both in your life.

No comments: