Thursday, October 6, 2011

Sad Day

When I saw the headline on the New York Times this morning, I was completely shocked. How could I tell my husband that ‘god’ was dead? No matter how much you can prepare yourself, sometimes there is no way around the stupefaction of hearing that some one has passed away.

Back in the 80’s my first home computer was an Apple 2e. I remember taking it out of the box and playing with or using it almost every day. It was so easy to use. Turn it on, wait for it to load, select a program and there you go. I recall playing games by using simple keyboard functions – arrow keys and space bar - to execute moves on the screen.

How can I not spend time discussing how much I love my ipod? I can barely work in my insanely loud work area without the peace that that little device brings me. If it weren’t for my little pocket protector, I would never be able to clean my apartment or do the dishes or fold the laundry. It is like an electronic puppy –follows me almost everywhere I go. My mechanical shadow.

Steve Jobs was my husband’s hero. Although I never placed him on that pedestal before, now I’m forced to really think about how his ideas have influenced my life. I visit iTunes at least once a week, if not more. I love Pixar movies – two of which I’d say are among my favorites. We know how I feel about my iPod. I am amazed at how he had a thought, saw it through to the end – facing naysayers and barriers galore along the way. Through it all, he had the vision, confidence and determination to tell everyone to shove it; he was going to do what he wanted. A true ‘out of the box’ thinker, a creative mind allowed to express his ideas as he felt…sincerely missed by many.

No comments: