Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Phone Conversations

On a recent bus trip to visit a friend, I was appalled by the behavior of fellow travelers. The first hour and a half of the bus ride was fine because everyone was sleeping. The remaining time was not so pleasant. The very considerate rider behind me decided it was a perfect time to have an hour long phone conversation with his buddy.

I really wanted to turn around and slap the phone out of the guy’s hand. However I felt that would look worse than his being on the phone. So I tried to make the most of his noise. I tried to fall back to sleep but he kept saying stuff that was so ridiculous and infuriating that I couldn’t. I tried to read but I couldn’t concentrate on what I was reading. Why didn’t I bring my ipod??

On top of it all, he used some phrases that have always bothered me. He really should have just run his nails down a chalkboard. That’s how irritating he was.

But then I got to my destination and had a nice time. On my return trip I was plagued with yet another talker. This one was worse. She sat across and a little in front of me. She must have talked to various people through almost the whole ride. I did get some reading done but it was difficult. I felt better when I hear a lot more people sighing as she talked on the phone. I guess I wasn’t the only one being annoyed by this inconsiderate behavior.

I can seem to understand why people feel it is appropriate to have personal conversation in enclosed public spaces. Maybe if we start slapping people when they behave this way, we can all be spared the insanity.

No comments: