Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Evil Eye

Earlier this year I received an evil eye bracelet. I know the person who got it for me meant well. The hope was that the bad luck that I was having would clear up. Sadly, it worked in the opposite way than how it was intended. I have been dealing with back issues since March and I had some other physical problems earlier this year. All while wearing the evil eye.

Recently someone else got me an evil eye bracelet with the hope that it would bring me good luck and happiness. I seriously wanted to throw it in the garbage.

My mom thinks that having amulets and little sayings can keep things from happening. She has always encouraged me to have something with me to keep evil spirits away. I have never been one to believe in a talisman. I wonder if that had something to do with the bracelet’s ‘power’ going awry?

I wore the bracelet without really thinking anything except that it was a thoughtful gift that someone had given me. I barely even noticed it on my wrist. Am I overanalyzing?

Tons of athletes have good luck charms that they believe help them through tough times. Would a different item have been more helpful? I guess I’ll never know.

1 comment:

M said...

I think the power of the talisman lies not in the object itself but in the confidence or awareness or thoughtfulness the wearer develops with it on.