Monday, May 2, 2011

Judge Judy

It’s hard to drown out the television volume when someone is going deaf around you. No matter how loudly you have your own ipod, it never completely silences the noise around you. And you worry about going deaf or insane from all blares surrounding you.

Usually this caliber of racket would drive a normal person to drink. But when you listen closely and the sound of a straight-talking tough cookie is what you hear, it’s difficult to not be interested in what she says. This, my friends, is Judge Judy and my dad adores her.

As she puts people in their place or tosses them out of her court for annoying her, my dad hoots aloud. He makes comments after she makes her rulings or observations and generally chuckles for a good hour. His daily schedule revolves around her. At about 3:55 he stops whatever he’s doing and goes to the closest television to see Judge Judy.

The other day midway through a much needed haircut, he told me to hurry up because Judge Judy was going to be on soon. I told him not to rush someone with sharp scissors and a razor in their hand! He waited patiently and then bolted as fast as he could, which was actually snail like, to the television. All I heard for the next hour through my headphones was my music punctuated every so often with an ‘Ah ha ha!’ or ‘You tell him, Judy!’

No comments: