Thursday, August 19, 2010

Speedy Recovery

My dad has been in the hospital for the last few weeks. It’s upsetting to see him there but I also know that 63 years of smoking cigarettes couldn’t go unlooked for too much longer. Needless to say, I was as prepared as I could be for this news.

My dad is very stubborn. He knows the best ways to do things and he’s always right. He hates doctors and hospitals but does he behave in any way that would allow him to avoid seeing these people and places? No! And goodness gracious if we ever mentioned he should stop smoking or drinking, the verbal sewage that comes out of his mouth is amazing. After a while, I accepted he wouldn’t ever make any changes for his health.

The problem is that my dad waited too long to get some help. He was severely worn down and weak. The months of coughing and not eating well had taken their toll and he wasn’t able to move too well. He has been able to get in and out of bed and has been making strides towards recovery. However, the doctors weren’t as pleased with his progress as he thought they should be. They really wanted him to be more mobile and to gain more strength; otherwise, they were going to put him into a rehabilitation facility.

After receiving that news, my dad got his appetite back. He was walking to and from the bathroom in his hospital room. He was threatening to throw people out the window if they disturbed him while he was sleeping. It looked like he made a miraculous recovery.

Now he’s in a rehabilitation unit and he’s trying to get his muscular strength back. He confided in me that he’s bored and wants to go home. But I know (just as the rest of the family does) that he will start smoking again the minute he comes home. So we’ll be back to the drawing board soon enough, I’m sure.

No comments: