Friday, August 20, 2010

The Mysterious 15th Floor

Lately I’ve noticed some strange happenings on the 15th floor of my building. My elevator bank goes up to the 16th floor where I have my cubicle. On an almost daily basis I am intrigued by the events that occur in and around the 15th floor while I ride up and down in the elevator.

If I’m riding down in the elevator and it stops on the 15th floor, I am certain to be delayed because the people on this floor aren’t ever sure if they should be getting on the elevator. I wonder to myself ‘didn’t they press the down button?’ Whomever enters is usually dilly-dallying before crossing the threshold from the 15th floor onto the elevator. It begs me to wonder why this is happening.

If I am riding up in the elevator and someone presses the 15th floor button, they ultimately watch the doors of the elevator open and look out on the 15th floor as if they have never seen this floor before. This makes me wonder ‘do they work on this floor at all?” because the deer-in-headlights look that is produced suggests that they are surprised – as if this is a new experience or that they are about to be killed once they step off the elevator.

I noticed for a while that it seemed to be the same types of people who were having these delayed responses on and off the 15th floor. Of course I jumped to the conclusion that something bad was happening to these people when they stepped off this floor. But recently I noticed that this is happening with everyone who gets on and off that floor.

Whenever I get a chance, I will need to investigate further. Maybe there is some kind of space/time portal or vacuum that exists on this floor. That might explain the sensation of newness that seems to be expressed by many of these 15th floor residents.

As a matter of fact, in my elevator bank the 11th and 12th floors are missing from the elevator selection. So if you move the floors down, the 15th floor would technically be the 13th floor. That might explain the altogether strange behavior happening on this floor.

No comments: