Monday, April 2, 2012

The Reunion

Saturday marked the anniversary reunion of my high school class. There were two events for the occasion but I was only able to attend one of them. The annual luncheon is something that our school organizes to get people to come out and spend a couple of hours with old friends and teachers.

A total of 11 people from my class showed up from about a group of 50, so it was a pretty good turn out. We all caught up on each other’s lives and reminisced about funny times and crazy teachers. It was really a lot of fun.

We also got to prance up on a stage as they celebrated the graduating classes of years ‘2 and ‘7 (eg 1992, 1997, 2002, 2007) and our names were called out. We got a little gift which was nice. We also got a nice meal and got to partake in a couple of auctions that were taking place.

Before the meal someone gave grace. As I looked over at the rest of my classmates, most of us were deep in prayer, except for one person. This made me laugh because it reminded me of high school – those irreverent few who never followed rules and danced to the beat of their own drum. Some things hadn’t changed at all.

A number of our teachers were there and it was great to talk to them and catch up with them. Having seen some of them a month ago, it was nice for me to see them basking in the other students who they hadn’t seen in so long.

I dragged my husband to the event and I had warned him that it might be a difficult situation – a bunch of girls returning to teenage-dom. But he said we weren’t that bad. I told him it was the particular group that showed up. I suspected it would be different at the other event to which we would not be privy.

Overall, it was nice to see many of my friends and connect with old classmates. Being reminded of the path and mission of our school was nice as well. Seeing all the present day students of my high school and what they were accomplishing made me proud as well. We have a legacy to uphold and we are all doing our best to contribute every day.

1 comment:

M said...

Sounds like a nice event!