Monday, April 30, 2012

Desk Job

In some places in the world having a desk job is seen as having reached the highest echelon of social classes. It’s odd to me to see it that way since I work a desk job and I find it can be very trying and tiring. I spend most of the day sitting at my desk working on spreadsheets and documents and listening to conference calls. Sometimes my job is stimulating but most of the time it is the same thing day in and day out. I don’t feel challenged mentally. Maybe some people like that about desk jobs but I don’t. And I have to go out of my way to get any physical activity. This annoys me in the sense that I had back issues in the past that resulted from sitting my fat tukhis in a chair for 8+ hours. I enjoy going to the gym to get my exercise but I think I’d enjoy a job that would allow me to be physical too. It really is all about perspective. I know my cousins always think it’s great that I have a job in an office. But I definitely enjoyed the activity and stimulation of the classroom a lot more. It’s just sad that teachers really don’t get paid the amount they should be. They have to be physically there (whether it is being as energetic as I was is a different story) and mentally there too (although there were some teachers who never were). If you want to coast at work, a desk job is the way to go a lot of the times. I suppose it’s the same for people at work. There are some people who are mentally challenged by what they do. I just don’t happen to feel that way too often. Then there are those people who walk around the floor while they listen to calls. They are definitely physically challenged. I can’t move from my desk out of fear I might not return. It all comes down to who you talk to and what they think. I don’t think a desk job is as prestigious as other people do.

No comments: