Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Home Cooking

Two nights ago my mom made lasagna. It was for no particular occasion except that she had all the ingredients around. It was a little odd since I always associate it with holidays or birthday but I welcomed it nonetheless.

I wasn’t able to eat it the night it was prepared because hubby had cooked and I didn’t realize we were in for a culinary surprise. But I had it for lunch yesterday and it was scrumptious. Just the right amount of pasta and tomato sauce covering mozzarella, spinach, meatballs, hard boiled eggs and sausage. It was divine! As I prepared my piece of it yesterday morning, I couldn’t wait for lunch to come around.

As 11:30 rolled around, I started to feel hungry and my stomach began to growl. That was the sign that it was time to warm up the luscious layers of love. As I returned from the microwave, the world around me became silent. Soft breezes went through my hair as I sat in the tranquil moments enjoying nothing but my meal. Earthquakes and tsunamis could have struck but nothing would take me away from my plate of pasta. The different flavors and textures caressed my mouth and tongue. I let out a deep sigh with every bite.

When I next looked at the clock a half hour had gone by. 30 minutes of pure enjoyment and relaxation. Something about a home cooked meal can do that if you let it – it can take you to a place where the only entities are you and the entree itself. Indulging in my mom’s home cooked meals never seems frivolous. If only she would make more of those lovely dishes so that the world wouldn’t seem so cruel.

1 comment:

M said...

I agree--a good meal is such a delight, it can make you tune out the rest of the world. I love your description of the lasagna as "luscious layers of love."