Monday, April 30, 2012

Flaky Pastry

This morning I woke up with a hankering for a croissant. It was one of those pleasant yet chilly mornings that reminded me of spring in Paris. With the temperature reminding me of those great days, I guess my stomach responded in kind. I decided to walk to the local bakery that makes a decent croissant. I bought a chocolate and a plain croissant for maximum decadence. I decided to eat the chocolate one before I got home because I knew my dogs would want to share and they shouldn’t be eating chocolate. As the flaky buttery pastry gave way in my hands and tiny slivers of beige plastered themselves to my jacket, I recalled many fond memories of the City of Lights. I recalled walking to my classes every morning –whether rain or shine with the Eiffel Tower on my left accompanying me for the first portion of my walk. As the street sweeping machines made the city smell like bleach or various other chemical cleaners, an occasional whiff from the myriad bakeries would tickle my nose. Sometimes it was the luscious fresh baguettes coming out of the oven or it would be the buttery scent of the exquisite pastries that would sparkle through the windows right into my eyes. Better jewels than diamonds to me. Parisians were never ashamed to eat a delicious croissant or a piece of bread while walking to their work or home. Occasionally as I would pass the locals, I’d notice flakes from pastries on their lapels. It always brought a smile to my face. I, of course, tried my best to be like a local as well. I’d buy a demi-baguette on my way to school. Then I would share it with some of my friends. If I had time, I’d purchase some nutella so we could spread the delicious chocolate gift onto the bread and have an even better breakfast than a fresh loaf of bread. On a number of occasions as I’d ride the metro and I would peek from the book I was reading to look at the other commuters. There were always a couple of people who had a smattering of crumbs on their jacket collars or on their jacket arms. It always make me chuckle to myself. It was nice to know I wasn’t the only person enjoying one of the great delicacies of French cuisine.

1 comment:

M said...

Oh this makes me want to be back in Paris again!! It would be especially great to be there with the carefree schedule and perspective of a student but the income of a non-student. =D Now I'm craving a croissant!