Wednesday, June 1, 2011

National Running Day

Today is National Running Day. In honor of this ridiculous day (and we all know how much I love ridiculous days – see Groundhog’s Day entries), I decided that I would start to run at least twice a week. Running being a loose term, people!

It means I’d run for a bit. I wouldn’t set out to run miles or anything like that. For goodness sake, I can barely run down the block when my dog drags me, but I thought it would be a goal towards which I could work.

To inaugurate this challenge, I ran for 2 minutes straight on the treadmill this morning. I know it’s not a big deal. I know I am able to run 2 minutes straight on the treadmill so I thought I would check if this is still possible and it was. Since this is my starting point, I will build from here. See, I have this figured out despite how insane this plan sounds. I will run for 2 minutes again later this week and I will increase from there. Hopefully by the end of the summer, I’ll be able to run for 10 minutes without falling off the treadmill belt or vomiting on the person on the machine next to me. (This serves as a warning to people at the gym, don’t get on the machine on either side of me!) These are the goals that I set for myself. Try to do something that’s hard or that I don’t like to do and see if I can progress. (This type of challenge in no way means I’ll be trying to sit with a snake any time soon. There’s only so much I can do and that I can deal with without checking myself into Bellevue!)

Wish me luck!

No comments: