Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Calorie Counts

I went for a quick walk to the local Starbucks just a few moments ago. The humidity of this sunny afternoon made me want to get an iced drink. Looking over the calorie list though, I realized that I might need to modify my want a bit.

All of the iced drinks were at least 10 calories more than their hot counterpart;some were even 30 calories more. The question ‘How the heck?” immediately popped into my head (along with a couple of expletives, but that’s neither here nor there). I opted for the hot drink. (I don’t mind hot drinks since the heat makes me sweat thereby cooling me down a bit.)

While walking back to my office, I found myself completely perplexed by this variance in calories. I never thought that solidifying a liquid that had no calories would result in the solid version having calories. I need to explore this because it’s going to be a dagger of the mind all day.

Plus when those iced drinks melt, they tend to water down the drink which would lead me to believe that they should be fewer calories too.

Anyone else have an explanation to this quandary? I’d love to hear it.

1 comment:

M said...

Maybe the ice has calories? An additional 10 calories isn't that many. You can burn that off just breathing. Plus your body uses more calories with cold drinks (according to a theory I've ready) b/c it has to warm them inside. Or something like that.

You probably could have gotten the cold beverage and not suffered in the diet department (if that's what you were going for).