Tuesday, January 11, 2011

What's on the Menu?

For my cousins, it’s pizza. Don’t get me wrong, I love pizza. It’s one of my favorite things to eat and I certainly crave it often. But I know there is so much variety out there to try and appreciate.

For the two weeks that my cousins were here, they did try Korean food but mostly it was the barbecue steak pieces that they tried. My cousin’s girlfriend tried some of the kimchi but found it to be too spicy. We also tried Chinese food with them. They liked that which I was surprised about. But that was pretty much it.

Even when we went to Italian restaurants, they wouldn’t even try the pasta. It was all about pizza. And not even different kinds of toppings on the pie – just the margarita basics – dough, sauce, and cheese. They even complained when there was basil on the pizza, which defeated the purpose of being called margarita in the first place. You could call them purists! I would call them boring.

I’m not saying you have to eat it all but at least try the different foods. It reminds me of a story another aunt was telling me about when she and some friends went to India and to China (separately) on tours. They always made sure someone brought pasta and sauce with them in their suitcases.
Italians love their food and they are very proud of it. Don’t get me wrong, I agree. But I still couldn’t imagine a life without saag paneer, naan, kimchi, sushi, koftas and tacos! So many wonderful flavors around the world, it’s a shame that they are missing out on all the splendor.

No comments: