Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Squirrels Get in Your Eyes

The weather was cool but not crisp. The sunrise was looming over the East. I had my coffee in hand and leash in the other. It was time to visit the park.
As we approached the entrance, the tugging on the leash got stronger. I stated firmly “Don’t pull!” The leash slacked a bit. Once we were in front of the park, Foxy sat down waiting for her leash to be removed. I clipped it off and down the hill she ran. She scampered about a bit then checked to see where I was, waited for me until she got a visual verification and then continued off on her path.

Mostly I follow her around and keep an eye on her. Occasionally we will get to a spot where we play “stick”, which is me tossing a stick around and having Foxy retrieve it and bring it back to me. On this day in particular we played two sessions of stick.

While doing so, Chloe, a boxer, decided to join in and chase Foxy while she tried to catch her sticks. Foxy was not willing to share her game with Chloe and let her know by turning her back on her. Chloe got the point and walked away.
We spent some more time walking around the park where Foxy jumped up the big rocks and rushed through bushes and shrubs.

The daylight started to become brighter which reminded me that it would soon be time to leave. I moved too slowly though as Foxy saw what usually came with brighter light – squirrels. On one tree there was one sitting on a branch just eating an acorn. Foxy was mesmerized for a few moments then began her twirling and spinning squirrel dance. As she continued her dance 4 more squirrels appeared on this same tree. It was as though Foxy’s dance was summoning them. I stood to the side and wondered “How am I going to get her to come home now?”

I let her stay under the tree for a little while as she danced and stared. As the squirrels began to tempt their fates more by getting closer to my canine, I called her. She looked at me as if to say “This is not a good time to leave.” She turned to look at the bushy tailed rodents. I called Foxy again but in a more firm tone. She came reluctantly while turning to look at the tree every so often before it was completely out of view.

It could have been a feast for her. One day I know she will catch one or two in her jaw and will have the time of her life. But that particular morning was not that day. She got her fill of squirrels in my book although I know that what she experienced was only an amuse-bouche in her book.