Thursday, January 5, 2012

New Year's Day

As I have grown older the importance and festivity around New Year’s has been completely lost on me. I don’t see what the big deal is anymore. I used to get excited as it was always an excuse to make a resolution to try something new or do something I kept telling myself to do. And while I still do that, the magic is gone.

I still see the hope of a new year – new experiences, people and new beginnings. But in the last 10 years or so, the excitement has gone. I used to make plans with friends to go to dinner or a bar or some place to ring in the New Year. The whole point was to have a plan and be with friends. Now I don’t even want to be bothered. I’d rather just go to a movie or sleep.

Wish I could put my finger on what has changed but it will take more than a few sentences to get to the bottom of that.

As far as New Year’s Day goes, I do make it a point to listen to U2’s song a couple of times. Somehow it captures how I feel about New Year’s day completely. And I occasionally listen to it when it’s not New Year’s day as well.

No comments: