Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Racial Tension

People can be incredibly stupid. I’m sure you will agree with that to some degree. I always find that just when I begin to have hope for the human race, someone does something that makes me wonder if abandoning all hope wouldn’t be a better course of action.

For instance, I walked into a hotel while in Paris to ask for the room key for my non French speaking cousin. The front desk clerk was an African man. I might have hesitated in asking for the key because it was hot and I had no saliva left in my mouth. However what came out of his mouth completely baffled me.

He asked me if I was American, which I denied because I wanted to see what he was going to say. He said that I acted like I’d never seen a black man from Africa before. I really wanted to grab him by the collar and punch him in the face because obviously this guy has never been to America. I told him that I was out of breath from the heat so he should just calm down.

I got the key, gave it to my cousin and said goodnight. I walked outside and began a tirade to my husband about how ridiculously dumb people can be. Why would he even say something like that considering that Americans have a Black president and have had race issues since its early history? I really think I should have punched that guy for his stupidity. But what would that have accomplished. I don’t think he would have gotten my point regardless of what I said or did.

No comments: