Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Language Barriers #1

The Wonderful World of Disney

I love going to Europe especially France because I find I have very deep conversations with people there that I might not necessarily find so quickly here in the states. I definitely talk about more politics in Europe than I do in the States and it’s a very clear understanding that everyone has an opinion and that all entities involved can agree to disagree.

It’s really refreshing. However, there are times when things just can’t be translated or understood in the translation from one language to the next. For instance, after going to EuroDisney, my husband, my cousin and a good friend got into a deep discussion on the names of Disney characters and what they are in each language. The gist of the conversation was pointed around the names of Donald Duck’s nephews.

Basically, what came out of our discussion is that their names are as follows based on the country:

U.S.: Huey, Dewey and Louie (respectively)
Italian: Qui, Quo and Qua
French: Riri, Fifi and Loulou
Spanish (Mexico): Hugo, Paco and Louis.

What I found most interesting about this discussion is that the Mexican versions of the names just didn’t rhyme or ‘fit a pattern’ as they did in the other names.

This just shows one of the wonderful differences that arises when different languages try to express the same thing.

More to follow…..

No comments: