Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Language Barriers #2

Medically Speaking

Despite what I’ve written before, there are some words that are very similar from one language to another. Most specifically this is the case with medical lingo. It might be pronounced and spelled slightly differently but it’s pretty much the same word.

For instance, during a recent conversation with a French friend, he wasn’t sure how to say a certain phenomenon that makes you visit the bathroom with great swiftness. So he described it in a different way. Although the creativity of it made me laugh, I told him that the true English word wasn’t very different from the French medical term. Now he knows. However, I’m sure he will continue to use the euphemism so that I will giggle like crazy.

It’s funny though how a euphemism will make you laugh whereas the true medical term will get more compassion.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah! sometimes interpretations make more sens than some real words!!! i don't know if it's good or funny but it's the only way that i found to be understanding by people... Big kiss my friend!!!