Sunday, May 3, 2009

Doubtin’ Donuts

Every so often I really crave a horribly sweet thing for breakfast. Usually by the end of a terribly hectic and horrific week, I want to hold up the closest Mrs. Fields Cookies or Godiva Chocolate and ask them to fill a bag with ‘unmarked’ goodies. I had just such a day this past Friday.

I usually go to Dunkin’ Donuts to get my coffee in the morning and as I was standing on the ludicrously long line, I decided I’d treat myself to a French Cruller. Why a French cruller? Well, I’d recently read that of all the donuts in the universe, they were the least amount of calories. And since I’ve been working out I thought I could treat myself and still not feel too guilty.

As I got closer to the cash register, I took a look at the caloric signs near all the donuts. (In NYC all fast food establishments need to show the calories of all their meals.) My contacts must have been deceiving me. There was no way that a French Cruller, which I’d seen in a health magazine as 170 calories, could be 250 calories. I refused to believe my eyes. I kept rubbing them. I asked someone in the line in front of me if they could confirm what the calories on the F.C. were. Oh what a horrible day!! They really were 250 calories, more than glazed donuts!! Even more than vanilla frosted.

What was this world coming to? Was everything that I’d been reading completely wrong? If donuts were the beginning where did this insane path of lies end? What else was total falsehood?

Needless to say, I didn’t get any donuts. Just my regular coffee at 5 calories. I informed my co-worker and she was just as shocked as I was because she too had heard that a F.C. was lower in calories. Guess it goes to show you, you can’t believe what you read when it comes to calories and the dearly delectable donut.

1 comment:

M said...

Very sad indeed! Reminds me of my Twinkie story from a few years ago. Sometimes ignorance is such bliss....