Thursday, March 8, 2012

Spring Awakening

It is a lovely day out today. It’s the kind of day that reminds me of college – when the weather got nice and all I wanted to do was skip classes and read outside in the park. I went to the gym this morning with a light jacket and thought I’d be cold. But it was so pleasant and it reminded me that we are so close to spring. Perhaps my good friends the groundhogs (well, at least one of them) was right after all – spring is coming.

I enjoy these days when it feels like spring. There is still a chill in the air but nothing a sweater or light jacket can’t handle. I would love to have months of this weather like when I was younger. It seems to have disappeared in recent years. We seem to go from a brutal winter straight to hot, oppressive heat. I enjoy gradual temperature changes.

This morning also reminded me of the first time I visited Paris. April in Paris was a myth to me until I got there. The birds chirped all day long, the flowers were blooming, the sun was shining, the cafes were packed with Parisians and tourists sipping their drinks and discussing, the readers were sitting in parks reading or discussing. It was at that time when I got that feeling – the feeling of happiness to be alive and to be experiencing rebirth and awakening of the various souls that were hibernating through the damp, cold winter. The cocoons were breaking free, the shells were cracking and everyone was in search of life and love.

As I strolled back from the gym, I took in a deep, fresh smell of the air. If the weather keeps up like this I’m sure I won’t be able to breathe too well (thank you, seasonal allergies!). And then I wondered if there wouldn’t be a 30 degree drop in temperature overnight. The weather has definitely kept me on my toes this year but it would be nice to finally have a nice period of splendid spring for once.

No comments: