Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Go, Diego, Go!

A few weeks ago I went to the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) with my friend Marni, who was visiting for the weekend. I haven’t been to the MoMA in a very long time – probably back in the 90s when they had a very famous Matisse exhibit.
In the years between the museum has undergone a renovation and I haven’t been to the newly refurbished building. It is still an impressive place; there is a courtyard with some sculptures around a fountain that I wasn’t able to see but which will be a reason to return.

The reason we went was to see the Diego Rivera Murals Exhibit. I have to admit that I was not much of a Rivera fan before going. Why you ask? Well, when it comes to muralists, I’ve always had a preference for the Renaissance Italians. I also wasn’t too keen on his relationship with Frida Kahlo. I preferred Frida’s style and works much more than his.

The exhibit showcased a number of his moveable murals and they were quite interesting. There were some sparkly pieces in each of the murals which showed his use of concrete in making the murals. A couple of the items on display were piece he made with NYC in the 20s and 30s as his inspiration. Then there were others that used Mexican history as their muse. There were also a number of his sketches from his time in Moscow.

It was a small but very interesting exposition. I can say I admire Rivera’s work more even if I still don’t like him as a womanizer. The display will be ending soon but I highly recommend any chance to get to the museum to see the wonderful art that is on display. I think Diego’s works are worth a viewing.

1 comment:

M said...

I agree, it was an interesting exhibit, and very educational for this Rivera neophyte. I particularly liked seeing his depictions of NYC in that time period.

So glad I got to visit you!!