Thursday, December 29, 2011

Where the Locals Go

I have had a couple of very tasty meals this year. One of which was at the EN Japanese Brasserie. I was immediately intrigued by the fact that many native Japanese people were walking into the restaurant ahead of me. I thought ‘if the natives come here, then it must be good.’ Indeed it was!

After giving our name the host walked us through traditional wooden sliding doors to our table. I decided to try the Sake flight. I love the sweet and crisp flavors of sake and the three that I got were all amazingly different. We proceeded to order some green clams which were briny and sweet and were enhanced by the light and slightly bitter sake that I was drinking.

My husband went for the sushi while I was intrigued by the Clay Rice Pot. I had to wait a bit before it would be ready but that waiting time was well worth it. When it arrived it was pure bliss. There was very little seasoning except for the fantastic herb shiso. The flavors that melted in my mouth were based on the basic tastes that came from the rice, the salmon and the roe that were blended in the pot. The simplicity and subtly of the dish is what won me over completely. I have been craving this clay pot since I had it a number of months ago.

In addition I have been on an obsessive search for a shiso plant so that I can grow it in my garden. It is a lovely mix between cilantro and dill and it enhances the flavor of the food surrounding it. If I could have it with every meal, I think I could die very happily.

I am looking forward to going to EN again very soon. The ambiance and the food were eye-opening; the service was attentive yet not overbearing. I hope to experience more new flavors in the New Year. I am looking forward to 2012 with an open palate!

1 comment:

M said...

I see a future for you as a food writer!