Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Coffee Shop

Today I walked past a coffee franchise that rekindled some fond memories. One of the locations for this coffee establishment was located right across the street from the entrance to the main building of my college campus.

It bought to mind the many trips I took there to pick up cups of coffee before long hours of reading. And how the people that worked there knew exactly how I liked my coffee. I found comfort holding those cups while trying to understand Semiotics and Philosophy. They often kept me wide awake while reading the 17th century novels. Many times they just kept me warm during the cold months when I was absorbing French history.

For two of my undergraduate years, I would sneak into the graduate lounge with an extra large cup of coffee. It would last through the many hours of writing or reading I was doing. And the graduate lounge was just so much quieter than the undergraduate lounge! Occasionally I’d curl up on one of the sofas and take a nap. And when I awoke, the coffee had cooled down a bit so I could gulp it and get back to work!

I could spend so much time concentrating in those days. Periods of 4 to 6 hours would be super productive with my cup of joe beside me. Now, despite all the coffee I drink, I can barely concentrate on half the stuff happening at work. I would rather go back to those college days – when I was enthralled by most of what I was doing while traveling the world tasting brews from the coffee countries all over the globe.

No comments: