Thursday, November 17, 2011

Voice Recognition

We recently had a problem with our stove. It would not have been an issue if next week were any other week. But to not have Thanksgiving dinner in the proper way would have been unforgivable.

We informed my dad of the stove situation and he came over to inspect. Despite all my husband had done, there was no salvaging this old clunker. My dad walked over to our sofa and said,“GIVE ME THE PHONE!”

As I handed him the phone, he started to call out a phone number. I dialed the number but the call wouldn’t go through since my number is blocked. So I decided to use my cell phone. I dialed the number and put it on speaker phone so my dad could hear it. He put the apparatus to his ear just the same.

"Hello, XXXXX Company."
“MIKE!”
“Yes, who is this?”
“GUESS!”
“Rocco? Luigi?”
“IT’S LUIGI!”
“What can I do for you,Luigi?”
“I NEED A NEW STOVE – 20 INCHES”
“I can’t hear you so well”
“I’M ON THESE SMALL PHONES THAT I HATE”
“Ok – can you repeat what you wanted because you were breaking up?”
“I NEED A NEW STOVE - 20 INCHES!”
“20 inches?”
“THAT’S RIGHT!”
“What color?”
“MIKE, YOU KNOW I ONLY ORDER THE WHITE!”
“Ok white. Anything else?”
“I NEED IT TOMORROW!”
“Ok."
“AND DON’T GIVE ME ANY TROUBLE!”

We could hear chuckling on the other line.
“Alright Luigi, see you tomorrow.”
“MIKE, THANK YOU!”
“You are welcome”

My dad proceeded to hand me the cell phone and he told me it was a piece of crap. It’s always a pleasure to do business with my dad – at least some people feel that way.

1 comment:

M said...

Hee hee. I love that your dad is on a first-name basis with the guys from the appliance store, that he can just call them up and order a new stove and have it delivered the next day, just like that. That type of business relationship is rare nowadays, especially in an impersonal city like New York. Love it!