Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Comfort Food

A few weeks ago, when I was without a stove, one of my dogs wasn’t feeling well. Normally under these circumstances, I boil some chicken breast with white rice and give it to her. This makes her feel better almost immediately. But without a stove, what was I to do.

I had to resort to the next best thing – grandma! I call my mom and asked if she would do me this big favor. She agreed immediately and expressed her concern for my dog. I told her I would bring her the chicken very shortly.

After delivering the poultry, my mom got cooking immediately. Within an hour there was a ring at the doorbell. She came bearing gifts (for my dogs, she was better than Santa!). I fed the healthy dog immediately, who was wondering if she had been punished since breakfast was so late that particular morning. I gave some to the ill dog who turned her head as if I were giving her a plate of sewer water. My mom was very distraught by this. She said ‘She really mustn’t be feeling well.’

I explained that it might take a bit before she ate since she had a tough night and morning. A little after my mom left, the dog did eat the food and she kept poking me for more. She had recovered within moments! Just goes to show you that sometimes comfort food is the best way to get better. It might not be chicken soup for the soul. But chicken and rice for the pooch was close enough.

1 comment:

M said...

There is definitely truth in comfort food. For people, it might be partly psychological, though I'm not sure if that is the case with the puppies. Glad she is feeling better.