Monday, November 22, 2010

On the Mend

A month ago one of my dogs had to undergo knee surgery. It really made me sad to see her going through so much pain when all she gives me (for the most part) is happiness.

About two months ago, she jumped up a stair and let out the most horrifying screech of pain I’ve ever heard. I knew it was her knee because whenever I attempted to touch it to see the damage, she tried to bite me. We bought her to the vet and he confirmed our suspicions. She had torn her ligament. We decided that she should bandage it up for a bit and that sometimes that helps.

After 3 weeks in a bandage, she seemed worse to me. So she had her surgery and I cried and cried because I couldn’t take away her pain. She had to wear a cone around her neck to keep her from biting her stitches. So she looked like a little Frankenstein with a lampshade. Days after the surgery she was back to her usual self – mainly annoyed that she had ‘the cone of shame’ on her head.
Her stitches were removed and she was walking and about like nothing ever happened. Once the cone came off, she kept rolling around in pure ecstasy that the evil contraption had finally been removed.

Last week I noticed her trying to jump on the sofa (even though she should be keeping the jumping to a minimum) and I was so happy. Here she was trying to fully recover and I thought it was so cute. She is so resilient and has such gumption. The vet said that she should keep the jumping to a minimum of course but you tell Bonnette that. She decided to run after her daddy this weekend and there really wasn’t much I could do. It amazes me how strong dogs are and how little credit we give them in terms of recovery. We should all take a lesson from the experts!

No comments: