Friday, November 19, 2010

Family Traditions

Thanksgiving is fast approaching. This is one of my favorite days of the year (after Groundhog’s Day, of course) for many reasons. First of all, I love the idea of Thanksgiving – showing appreciation for things and people in our lives. Secondly, I love to cook so it makes me enjoy the holiday more if I get to be creative in my cooking. Lastly, I love this special day because my dogs love it.

But the pooches aren’t the only ones that enjoy this holiday. My dad loves to spend this holiday with the dogs too. We always give the wings to my dad since they are his favorite pieces of the turkey. Occasionally we give him the legs as well.

For a good portion of the meal, we eat and talk and it’s lovely. All of a sudden, Bonnette will end up barking because she wants her share of the bird! We give the dogs some in their dishes and they are contented.

We sit around and have coffee and pie and talk and then I usually give my dogs a big hug after the meal since I’m particularly thankful for them because they always make me laugh. And…..they always have a greasy feel on their fur and smell suspiciously of turkey.

As with almost every year since we’ve had Thanksgiving at my place, I am reminded that my dad likes to use the dogs’ fur as his person turkey napkin. Ahhh! The joy of the holidays.

An early Happy Thanksgiving to everyone out there!