Monday, June 14, 2010

The Gag Gift

A couple of months ago a dear friend came to visit me in the city. During an early morning tv informercial bombardment campaign, she saw a plug for a product that really took anchor in her mind. She mentioned this product to me during our brunch and I was notably impressed by what it was claiming. We made a few jokes about this product and how some people could use it but I left it at that.

A few days later, I got an email from my friend telling me more about this product. I was a little surprised because I didn’t think that this product had made such an impression on my friend. But obviously it had! I took a look at the product’s website again and I could see the advantages of this product.

I left the idea of this product on the backburner until I realized that my friend’s birthday was soon approaching. ‘What do I get her?,” I kept thinking. Until finally one day the logical gift appeared in my brain! Get her the product from the informercial!

Hesitation surrounded me. I really wanted to get her a gift she would use but getting her this product could suggest a big pool of problems. Would it suggest that I thought she needed to lose weight? Would it be offensive to her? I ask around and in the pit of my stomach, I knew she’s get a laugh but my brain wasn’t so sure. I worried she would ‘de-friend’ me.

Luckily though, she loved the gift and laughed about it. I felt super happy that not only was it a funny gift but one with a little bit of thought behind it. It’s always fun to give gag gifts to your friends.

1 comment:

M said...

It was totally the best gag gift ever and I do love it! Thanks again, Pookie!