Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Don't Drink the Water

You are probably thinking this has something to do with Monteczuma’s revenge. Oh but it doesn’t. This fun and exciting topic is being bought to you by “Pelvic Sonogram”.

I recently went to the ‘lady’ doctor, as my mom calls it, for my yearly exam. I told her I had some female issues and she sent me to get a pelvic sonogram. In order to get a pelvic combined sonogram, they need to go trace around your stomach with this machine to see the outside view of the uterus and stuff. Then they go inside you with a probe to check the inside view. (I’m trying not to be graphic but I’m not sure it’s working)

In order to do the outside view, you need to have a full bladder. They tell you to drink lots of water before you go for this sonogram. (Something about the sonic waves from the machine gives a clearer picture through liquid.) I’m fine with drinking lots of water; I normally do. But having to wait 2 hours for the sonogram with a full bladder was not a joyous event in the least. I found I couldn’t sit without wanting to run to the bathroom and I couldn’t stand without the urge to tinkle. It was truly annoying and uncomfortable.

Sadly though, I had to go back for another pelvic sonogram when my original one showed some abnormalities. So this time around, I didn’t drink as much water because I was afraid I’d have to wait a while before they would do the tests. Nope, not this time. They took me immediately! And of course, my bladder wasn’t full enough. So I had to drink 2 bottles of water and then I had to wait until my bladder became full.

Then when I went in for the exam I thought my bladder was going to explode because the technician kept pressing on my stomach to get a better picture. Well, needless to say, I hope no one else has to ever go through this experience. I hope the test results come out positively…but in the meantime, do drink the water…it’s good for you. Just be careful if you go for a pelvic combined ultrasound.

1 comment:

M said...

OH man, that sounds utterly painful!! I hope the test results say that everything is ok.